Vegan Chocolate & Peanut Butter Swirl Cookies
Yeild: 6 sandwiches
- 12 large marshmallows
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the broiler. On a broiler-safe pan, toast the marshmallows until brown, rotating to toast all of the sides. Remove from the broiler and let cool.
- In a large bowl, add some ice and water to create a water bath. Place a smaller bowl inside the water bath. Add 1/2 cup cream to the smaller bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, warm up the remaining 1/2 cup cream, whole milk, sugar, and salt. Once warm but not boiling, add a little bit of the milk to the yolks in a small bowl and whisk together. Pour the yolks into the saucepan and cook until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Whisk in the toasted marshmallows and vanilla until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and pour into the reserved cream sitting in the water bath. Let cool to room temperature then freeze according to your ice cream maker or by hand*.
- Freeze the cookies for at least 15 minutes.
- Working with one sandwich at a time, place a scoop or two of the ice cream onto the flat side of one cookie. Sandwich it together with another cookie. Roll (or press) the chocolate chips into the ice cream Place in the freezer as you finish assembling. Repeat with the remaining cookies and ice cream.
*To freeze by hand, chill in the fridge until cold then place in the freezer. Every 30-45 minutes, beat with a whisk for a minute or two. Keep doing this until the ice cream is completely frozen. The whisking will help break up any ice crystals.