12 Awesome Things You Can Make In Ice Cube Trays
Summers almost over but it’s not too late to put your ice trays to use!
1 1/2lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into small chunks)
1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
6 tablespoons chicken broth (divided)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
salt and pepper
5 green onions (sliced)
¼ cup hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
Sesame seeds (for garnish, optional)
Step 1: Heat a wok (or large skillet) over medium-high heat. Add 1 ½ tablespoons sesame oil. Add garlic and dried red pepper flakes. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add broccoli florets and 4 tablespoons chicken broth. Stir fry broccoli for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Step 2: Add a little more sesame oil to the wok (about 1 tablespoon). Season chicken bits with salt and pepper. Add to the wok and cooked until chicken is fully cooked (about 3-5 minutes).
Step 3: Add in remaining 2 tablespoons of chicken broth, oyster sauce, and hoisin sauce. Add broccoli mix well and cook until the mixture has become well heated. Serve with white rice.
(Makes 2 Servings)
- 1 lb pasta (I used shells)
- 2 T Earth Balance
- 1 small sweet onion very finely diced
- 3 T flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 10-12 ounces of butternut squash, cooked and/or thawed
- 1 cup soy cream
- 1 bag Daiya cheddar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon Herbamere (or salt of your choice)
- Pepper to taste
- Put pasta on to boil, making sure you keep it a little firm, otherwise it’ll start to fall apart when you stir in the cheese sauce.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the Earth Balance, then add the onions, cooking for about 2 minutes. If you need more moisture, you can add a tablespoon of water or more EB.
- Add flour, and mix all together- this is your roux. Cook for another minute.
- Pour in veggie stock and squash, stir until completely blended. This is your chance to make sure there are no large chunks of squash swimming around in there! Make sure you’re constantly scraping the sides of the pan, I recommend using a rubber spatula.
- Add soy cream and stir, letting it come to a slow bubble, then add the Daiya. Keep stirring (Don’t stop!)
- Once it’s all melty and gooey, add in your nutmeg, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust. But don’t taste too much, or there wont be any left! Pour in your (slightly undercooked) pasta, and that’s it!
- I roasted my own b’nut for this dish, but if you choose to buy a package of frozen kind that’s cool too. If you roast your own, feel free to sneak a little extra in… I did ;) Keep in mind though, if you roast your own you’ll want to make sure it’s pretty smooth. A few lumps are okay, but you really want the squash puree to meld with the cheese.
Easy Healthier Crockpot Butter Chicken
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size chunks
1/2 onion, finely minced
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons curry powder
1-2 teaspoons curry paste ( I used Thai Red Curry Paste and 2 teaspoons)
2 tablespoons garam masala
1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric ( I used 1/2 since my family is not crazy about turmeric)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use less if you are not a spicy person)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk, regular or lite (I used regular), plus more if needed to thin the sauce
1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used 0%)
1/4 cup half and half or heavy cream
cooked white rice, for serving
Fresh homemade Naan
, for scooping (a must!)
- In a large glass measuring cup or bowl mix together the coconut milk, greek yogurt and cream. Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, ginger and all the spices. Mix well.
- Spray the inside of your crockpot bowl with cooking spray or grease with olive oil. To the bowl sprinkle the onion over the bottom. Add the chicken and then pour the coconut milk mixture over the chicken so the chicken is completely covered. Add the butter and place the lid on the crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. I like to stir mine once or twice during cooking, but it is not necessary. When ready to serve taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve over rice with a big piece of fresh Naan
(Serves 4-6 )
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup apple or pineapple juice
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup Bourbon
Total Cooking time: 45 minutes
1. The first step is to cut the boneless chicken into small 1 inch pieces. You can use either a knife or kitchen scissors.
2. Mix the garlic, apple or pineapple juice, brown sugar, ginger, apple vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and the bourbon into a medium sized bowl. Stir until it all blends together.
3. Pour 1/3 of the sauce on the chicken and leave it to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. It is better is you leave it overnight.
4. After the chicken marinated, heat up a large frying pan and pour the oil into it. When the oil is hot add the chicken pieces and cook at medium-high heat and stir until the chicken turns a golden.
5. Add 1/2 cup water to the remaining sauce and when the chicken is done pour it in the frying pan.
6. Reduce to low heat and cover the pan leaving a small opening for the air to escape. Cook for 20 minutes and don’t forget to stir a few times. If the sauce is too thick you can add a tablespoon of Chicken broth.
7. Serve hot with white or brown rice garnish or fries. Enjoy!
Elegant and simple, the Cajun Bourbon Chicken Recipe pleases the senses and makes a great meal for the entire family.
FOR THE DOUGHNUTS:
2 cups Cake Flour
3/4 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, Chobani
3/4 cup Milk
½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp. Butter, melted
FOR BLUEBERRY JAM:
1 cup Blueberries
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
FOR THE GLAZE:
1 cup Powdered Sugar
4 Tbsp. Milk
1 tsp Lemon Zest
1/4 Vanilla Bean Scraped of Caviar
Preheat your oven to 425F.
In small saucepan over medium high heat, add blueberries, sugar and lemon juice. Mash blueberries until only a few remain whole. Heat and stir until boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool and thicken. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Beat in greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, milk and melted butter until fully incorporated.
Spray doughnut pan with non-stick spray, filling each cavity with ¼-1/3 cup doughnut batter. Dollop two to three tsp of blueberry jam on top doughnut batter in each doughnut pan cavity. Using a knife swirl the jam into the doughnut batter. Bake in oven for 9 minutes, or until light golden brown.
Allow to cool on wire rack.
In small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon zest, milk and vanilla bean caviar until sugar is dissolved and mixture is runny.
Pour over each doughnut, or dunk tops of doughnuts into glaze and turn right side up to set. Serve while still slightly warm.
Fish tacos with Avocado Cream Sauce
Yields about 8-10 fish tacos
- 1-1/2 pounds cod, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder (divided 1 and 1/2)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (divided 1 and 1)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder (divided 1 and 1/2)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder (divided 1 and 1/2)
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten (plus 2 tablespoons water)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 white onion, diced
- 8-10 soft taco shells, warmed
- Avocado cream sauce (ingredients and directions below)
- Chipotle Tabasco or favorite hot sauce (optional)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, Kosher salt and black pepper. Sprinkle the spice mixture all over the fish, coating all sides. Allow fish to marinate in the spice mixture for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large zip-closed bag, add panko, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder. Prepare egg wash by whisking together 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of water. Place seasoned fish pieces (a few at a time) in the egg wash, coating all sides, and then place fish in the bag with the panko. Once all the fish is in the bag, seal it up and shake the bag around so the panko lightly coats the fish pieces.
Coat a frying pan with olive oil and heat it up over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add fish in batches and fry the fish on all sides until the panko browns and looks crispy, about 2 minutes per batch. (You’re finishing the cooking of the fish in the oven, so it’s OK to undercook the fish at this point.)
Once all the fish has been fried, place the fish on a pan and finish cooking in the oven for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the oven and check a piece for doneness. Taste and salt only if needed. Serve a few pieces of the fish inside a warm flour tortilla with avocado cream sauce (below), lettuce, onion, chopped cilantro and chipotle Tabasco sauce is using.
Avocado cream sauce
- 1 Haas avocado, ripe
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro (a good handful)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve on fish tacos.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, shells and tails removed (see notes)
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter (can add more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- ¼ cup minced lemon pieces*
- 8 ounces uncooked capellini noodles (I used Jovial gluten free)
- a handful of fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- First five minutes: shrimp. Start a pot of boiling water for the noodles. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a small skillet. Press the excess moisture out of the shrimp (especially if they were originally frozen) and place them in the hot skillet. Don’t move them around right away - let them cook for 1-2 minutes before flipping them over to cook on the other side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper while still in the pan. When the shrimp are cooked through, remove from heat and set aside.
- Second five minutes: sauce and noodles. Put the noodles in the boiling water and cook as directed on the package. In the skillet used earlier, add the garlic and butter and reduce the heat to medium. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring continuously, until the garlic is soft and fragrant. The garlic will taste bad if it gets burned so be careful! Add the wine and allow to cook down (simmer until there is less liquid) for a few minutes. Add the lemon pieces and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Finally, add the shrimp back to the skillet just to warm it up again.
- Last five minutes: assemble. Drain the noodles and return to the saucepan. Add the shrimp/lemon/garlic mixture and the fresh parsley. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and top with a tiny bit of Parmesan cheese.
*I used frozen raw shrimp that still had the shell on so I had to spend a few minutes peeling the shells off. I also chose to remove the tails which was nice because then we didn’t have to worry about removing the tails while we were eating.
*I used pieces from the leftover blender lemonade. You could recreate this by finely chopping a little bit of lemon (rind and everything) or jjust use ½ tablespoons lemon juice and a spoon full of zest. You can easily adjust this depending on how lemony you want it to taste.
- 1 pound linguine (or spaghetti)
- 4 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 T minced garlic
- large bunch of basil, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- parmesan for serving
Combine the cherry tomatoes, olive oil, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and ground pepper in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate for at least 4 hours before serving.
Right before your ready to serve the pasta, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta for 7-8 minutes until just al denté. Drain the pasta well and add it to the bowl with the cherry tomatoes. Toss well to combine. Serve in shallow bowls with lots of grated parm on top.
Makes 8 sliders
1 lb ground beef, preferably organic and 80/20
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp garlic salt
4 slices applewood smoked bacon, preferably organic
3 pepper colby jack cheese, 8 small slices (or 4 large slices, available at the deli)
1 cup brown mushrooms, sliced
2 cups arugula
8 whole wheat dinner rolls, about 3 inches in diameter (available in the bakery section of most grocery stores)
2-3 tbsp butter, melted
4 long bamboo skewers, cut in half, or 8 short skewers
1) Slice rolls in half and set aside on a large plate or platter with arugula and cheese.
2) Mix ground beef with the herbs and spices in a small bowl using your hands. When the spices are evenly mixed throughout the ground beef, form 8 patties about 4 inches in size and place them on a large plate.
2) Cook bacon in a skillet until it’s browned on each side and remove to a plate covered with paper towels. Break each slice into 4 equal pieces.
3) Cook the mushrooms in the same skillet (without emptying the bacon grease) on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove to a small bowl.
4) Heat a grill pan or large skillet on medium high heat. When it’s hot, place the patties on the pan. Press the patties with a spatula occasionally as they cook to keep them from swelling up. Flip the burgers when they’re about half way cooked on the bottom side. After they burgers are cooked to your liking, place them on the large plate again (this time covered with a paper towel.) Place the slices of cheese on the patties and then put the burgers in the oven or microwaave to keep warm while you prepare the buns.
5) Brush the melted butter on the top and bottom (insides) of the buns and place them butter side down on the hot grill pan. Press down on the tops and let them cook for about 1-2 minutes. Place them back on the platter when they’re browned on the bottoms.
6) To plate the burgers, place the bottom bun on the platter, then add a burger patty topped with cheese, 3-4 mushrooms, 2 pieces of bacon, arugula, and the top of the bun. Stick a skewer through the middle to secure the slider. Repeat with the rest of the burgers and serve warm and fresh.
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch, divided
- 1 1/2 Tbsp + 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt and white or black pepper
- 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3 green onions, chopped, whites and greens divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 2/3 cup lightly salted cashews
- Red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, toss chicken with 1 Tbsp cornstarch to evenly coat. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add half of the chicken, and cook stirring frequiently, until chicken is is golden brown and has cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate (leaving the remaining oil in skillet - it should be about 1 tsp) and add another 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil to skillet. Cook remaining chicken until golden brown and cooked through, then transfer to plate with first batch of chicken.
- In a mixing bowl (or liquid measuring cup used to measure chicken broth), whisk together chicken broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey and remaining 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch until well blended. Heat remaining 1 tsp vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat. Add green onion whites, garlic, ginger and cashews and saute until cashews are golden brown, about 1 minute. Pour in hoisin sauce mixture, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Remove from heat, add chicken to sauce and toss to evenly coat. Serve warm with white or brown rice or quinoa and top with greens of green onions and sprinkle with red pepper flakes if desired.
- 8 oz room temperature cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup julienned pepperoni slices
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- sliced mozzarella
- pepperoni slices
- chopped fresh basil
- Mix all ingredients for the first layer in a bowl and spread evenly into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Add strips of pepperoni to a cold skillet and cook over medium heat. Take out and place on paper towels to drain the grease.
- Add chopped mushrooms and onion to a skillet and cook over medium heat until soft. Add a pinch of salt to season.
- Spread marinara sauce over bottom cheesy layer.
- Add pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions on top.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Bake x 20 minutes and then broil for 2-3 minutes to brown the cheese a little bit.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- Serve with garlic toast, bagel chips, or pita chips.
- Use whatever toppings you like! Make sure you cook hamburger or sausage first before adding. Sautéed peppers would also be delicious!
¼ cup of softened butter
6 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 cup of marshmallow fluff
½ cup of graham cracker crumbs
12 ounces of milk chocolate
Additionally, you will need one standard size cupcake pan with 9 cupcake liners.
1) Line your cupcake pan with 9 cupcake liners. Then melt your milk chocolate until it is completely smooth.
2) Spoon in about 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of chocolate into your cupcake liners. Use either a spoon or pastry brush to coat the sides with chocolate. Make sure that the sides are fully coated so that it holds that buttercup shape. Place pan in the fridge for 20 minutes so that the chocolate hardens.
3) While you wait, mix together the brown sugar, butter, and graham cracker crumble. Once the mixture is completely combined and your chocolatey cupcake liner shells have hardened, place a generous amount of crumble into the bottom half of your buttercups. Make sure to leave room at the top for the marshmallow fluff.
4) Add a dollop of marshmallow fluff on top of the graham cracker crumble. Then smooth over the top with some more of your melted milk chocolate from before. Place in the fridge for another 20 minutes and you are ready to serve!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 2 rounded cups macaroni, cooked in well salted water until just al dente, and drained
- 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated smoked Gouda cheese, plus more for topping
- Set oven to 350F
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the flour. Whisk to combine, and cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly.
- Add the milk and whisk to combine, continuing to heat until the milk comes to a simmer and is thickened.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the cheese, stir until all of the cheese is incorporated and the sauce is smooth. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Mix the macaroni with the sauce, and pour into a baking dish or individual dishes. Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbling throughout.
- Sprinkle more cheese on top and put under the broiler until the cheese is browned.
|| NEXT PAGE >>
- 12 slices thick-cut, naturally smoked bacon
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown or dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 24 ounces (1 1/2 pounds) freshly ground beef chuck
- Kosher salt
- 4 soft hamburger rolls
- 4 slices American or cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 12 dill pickle chips
Adjust oven rack to center and bottom positions, place a 12-inch cast iron skillet on the bottom rack, and preheat oven to 400°F.
Meanwhile, line a rimmed baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil. Place six slices of bacon on baking sheet side to side running perpendicular to the edge of the counter. Fold down the top halves of 1st, 3rd, and 5th slices. Place a slice of bacon across the top of the folds, running perpendicular to the first 6 slices, then unfold the bacon so that the new slice is woven over and under every other slice. Fold down the 2nd, 4th, and 6th slices and lay another slice of bacon across the top of the fold. Unfold the slices. Repeat until all 12 slices of bacon have been laid on the baking sheet in an interwoven pattern. Place baking sheet in oven and cook until bacon is crisp, about 25 minutes.
While bacon cooks, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, relish, and 1 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Form ground beef into 4 (6-ounce) patties slightly wider than the buns. Press the center of each patty to make a slight indentation with your fingertips. Season liberally with salt and pepper on all sides. Set aside.
When bacon is cooked, remove baking sheet from oven and set broiler to high. Pour off excess bacon fat into a small bowl and set aside. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, being careful not to break it. Allow to drain for 30 seconds, then transfer to cutting board. Cut the bacon weave into four smaller squares and set aside.
Pour 2 tablespoons of rendered bacon fat into mayonnaise mixture and stir to combine. Brush hamburger rolls on inside surfaces with bacon fat and place on a broiler pan or baking sheet brushed-side up.
Remove cast iron skillet from oven using oven mitts or a folded kitchen towel. Place over medium-high heat. Add remaining bacon fat to skillet. Add burger patties and cook, turning occasionally, until well-crusted and center of each burger registers 120°F on an instant read thermometer. Top with cheese and continue cooking until cheese is melted and burgers register 125°F for medium rare or 135°F for medium. Transfer to a large plate.
Add onions to skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
Place burger buns under broiler while onions cook and broil until golden brown and toasted, about 2 minutes.
Spread mayonnaise mixture on both sides of burger buns. Place 3 pickles on each bottom bun. Top with a burger patty, a pile of onions, and a square of bacon weave. Close buns and serve.